Why Use the Emergency Notification Service?
· Keep Informed – Tornadoes and other adverse weather can happen anytime and anywhere and you might not always be near a computer, television or radio. This service can also act as a secondary source of critical information.
· Customized – The type of information and geographical area meet are chosen by the client, and any changes in requests can be made easily.
What is the Emergency Notification Service?
· Automatic Weather & Non-Weather Notification – Data comes into Weather Affirmation’s office and is automatically sent to cell phones, alphanumeric pagers and other wireless devices by our customized computer program.
· Short Messages – A typical message is about a full page of text, but only the most critical part of the message is sent (about 200 characters).
· Technology – Weather Affirmation uses the latest technology available to increase speed and reliability
· E-Mail – Computer program offers two options.
- Entire Text – The entire message from the National Weather Service is sent
- Short Form – Only condensed messages are sent (same text that is sent to pagers & cell phones).
How the Notification System Works*
1. Hazardous/extreme weather is reported to a local National Weather Service office.
2. The local weather service offices sends the message to the national office in Washington D.C. then back to the main data stream.
3. Data is ingested into Weather Affirmation’s computer network.
4. The customized program “decides” which individual should receive the message.
5. E-Mails and text messages are sent via telephones and Internet connections.
*The whole process typically takes 1 to 2 minutes and not confined to weather messages.
Weather Products & Sample Messages
· Types of Weather – All critical weather messages are included (i.e. tornado watches & warnings). Various types of non-critical messages are available (i.e. county forecasts & hourly weather).
· Non-Weather – Various non-weather emergency products can be requested (i.e. amber alerts & tsunami).
· Sample Messages
- Severe Thunderstorm Watch - SEVERE T-STM WATCH # 649 SEVERE T-STM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF NE COLORADO & NW KANSAS & SW NEBRASKA EFFECTIVE WED PM & EVNG FROM 430 PM UNTIL 1000 PM MDT.** SEVERE T-STM WATCH AREA IS ALONG & 75M N & S OF LINE FROM 50M W SW OF AKRON COLORADO TO 20M SE OF MCCOOK NEBRASKA.*
- Severe Thunderstorm Watch (Single County ONLY)- SEVERE T-STM WATCH # 649 INCLUDES FOLLOWING US COUNTY(S)..LOGAN_KS*
- Fire Weather Watch (Single County ONLY)- LUBBOCK_TX CNTY FCST: 1009 AM TUE AUG 7**NOW..ISOLATED TO WIDELY SCTRD SHWRS & T-STORMS WILL CONT TO DEVELOP ALONG THE CAPROCK REMAINDER OF AM. THESE WILL MOVE W SW AT 20MPH*
Notification Service Features
· Each Client is Unique – In the database, each client has the ability to request weather/non-weather products, geographical area, the communication company and method of delivery
· Ingests Multiple Data Streams – The entire system ingests data streams from different sources and methods
· Built-In Redundancy – To increase the reliability of the system, multiple attempts and different back-up methods are used.
· Logging – Each message sent to wireless companies are stored in the archives
· Archiving Features – All products received from the data stream is stored permanently on computer hard drives and compact disks.
Costs for 2007
· Basic Package* – Includes the following weather products:
- Severe Thunderstorm Watches & Warnings
- Winter Weather Watches, Warnings & Advisories
- Specified Number of counties
* Please call for pricing *
· Customized Products – Other weather notification services are offered. Please contact us for a specific quote.